Curious and Interesting Names Near Geikie ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jasper (7 miles [11.3 km] to the east)
- Pocahontas (27 miles [43.5 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pocahontas
- Pocahontas lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Geikie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pocahontas came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pocahontas
- Yellowhead (8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yellowhead
- Yellowhead lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Geikie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yellowhead came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yellowhead
How Far From Geikie to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Geikie to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Geikie and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 202 miles [325.1 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Geikie to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,958 miles [3,151.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 77 days and walking would take 112 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,370 miles [10,251.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,133 miles [11,479.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,258 miles [8,461.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Geikie. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Geikie) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Geikie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.8667, Longitude: -118.2667 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Geikie to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 337.692 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 339.089 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.48 degrees.||