Communities Also Named Gainford ...
We have found one communities that share the name Gainford.
Within Alberta, the name Gainford is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Gainford in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Mahaska County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Iowa community of Gainford [Mahaska County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Gainford ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Castle Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Island
- Castle Island lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the northeast of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keephills came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keephills
- Keephills lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Keephills
- Round Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Round Valley
- Round Valley lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the south of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Round Valley
- Silver Sands
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Sands
- Silver Sands lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Sands
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Sunset Point
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunset Point came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunset Point
- Sunset Point lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunset Point
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tomahawk
- Tomahawk lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the south of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tomahawk
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wildwood came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wildwood
- Wildwood lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the west of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wildwood
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wildwood<4>
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yellowstone came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yellowstone
- Yellowstone lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Gainford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yellowstone
How Far From Gainford to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Gainford to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Gainford and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 52 miles [83.7 km]<3> to the east (E). If you could walk a straight line from Gainford to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,814 miles [2,919.4 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 71 days and walking would take 103 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,267 miles [10,085.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,032 miles [11,316.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,132 miles [8,259.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Gainford. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Gainford could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Gainford) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Gainford. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Gainford
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gainford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.5888, Longitude: -114.7877
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Gainford to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.863 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.934 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.019 degrees.||