Communities Also Named Flat Lake ...
We have found one communities that share the name Flat Lake.
Within Alberta, the name Flat Lake is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Flat Lake in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Oscoda County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Flat Lake [Oscoda County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Flat Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Elk Point (18 miles [29 km] to the southeast)
- Gurneyville (16 miles [25.7 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gurneyville
- Gurneyville lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the east of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gurneyville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gurneyville
- Horseshoe Bay (8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horseshoe Bay
- Horseshoe Bay lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the west of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horseshoe Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Horseshoe Bay
- Hoselaw (10 miles [16.1 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hoselaw
- Hoselaw lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the east of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hoselaw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hoselaw
- Iron River (23 miles [37 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Iron River
- Iron River lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the northeast of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Iron River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Iron River
- Owlseye (12 miles [19.3 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owlseye
- Owlseye lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the west of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owlseye came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owlseye
- Pelican Narrows (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pelican Narrows
- Pelican Narrows lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Flat Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pelican Narrows came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pelican Narrows
- Saddle Lake (24 miles [38.6 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saddle Lake
- Saddle Lake lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southwest of Flat Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saddle Lake
How Far From Flat Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Flat Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Flat Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 104 miles [167.4 km]<2> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could drive a straight line from Flat Lake to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 4 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,669 miles [2,686 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,167 miles [9,924.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,934 miles [11,159.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,009 miles [8,061.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Flat Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Flat Lake could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Flat Lake) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Flat Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.1303, Longitude: -111.1517 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Flat Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.925 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.664 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.474 degrees.||