Communities Also Named Ensign ...
We have found five communities that share the name Ensign.
Within Alberta, the name Ensign is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another five communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Pulaski County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Arkansas community of Ensign [Pulaski County].
- Tehama County
- This community is historic<2> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Ensign [Tehama County].
- Gray County
- This Ensign is located in Gray County and lies 1,097 miles [1,765.5 km]<3> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ensign
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Gray County community of Ensign.
- Delta County
- This Ensign is located in Delta County and lies 1,255 miles [2,019.7 km]<3> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ensign
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Delta County community of Ensign.
- Ellis County
- This Ensign is located in Ellis County and lies 1,521 miles [2,447.8 km]<3> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ensign
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Ellis County community of Ensign.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Ensign ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Diamond (38 miles [61.2 km] to the northwest)
- Blackie (12 miles [19.3 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Ensign
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Champion (21 miles [33.8 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Champion
- Champion lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southeast of Ensign
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Champion came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Champion
- High River (20 miles [32.2 km] to the west)
- Longview (35 miles [56.3 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<3> to the west of Ensign
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<4>
- Queenstown (24 miles [38.6 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Queenstown
- Queenstown lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Ensign
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Queenstown came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Queenstown
- Vulcan (8 miles [12.9 km] to the southeast)
How Far From Ensign to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Ensign to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Ensign and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 212 miles [341.2 km]<3> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Ensign to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,759 miles [2,830.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,436 miles [10,357.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,203 miles [11,592.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,266 miles [8,474.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Ensign
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ensign. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Ensign could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Ensign, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ensign) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ensign. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EnsignOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ensign. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.4667, Longitude: -113.4333 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ensign to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.722 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.386 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.629 degrees.||