Communities Also Named Empress ...
We found one communities that share the name Empress.
Within Alberta, the name Empress is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Empress in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Brooks County
- This Empress is located in Brooks County and lies 1,947 miles [3,133.4 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Empress
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Brooks County community of Empress.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Empress ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Estuary ‑ Historic
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the east)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Estuary. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Estuary
(39 miles [62.8 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flaxcombe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flaxcombe
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Flaxcombe
- Fox Valley
(40 miles [64.4 km] to the southeast)
(20 miles [32.2 km] to the east)
(32 miles [51.5 km] to the east)
How Far From Empress to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Empress to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Empress and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 232 miles [373.4 km]<1> to the northwest (NW). If you could drive a straight line from Empress to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,609 miles [2,589.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,336 miles [10,196.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,105 miles [11,434.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,145 miles [8,280.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Empress. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Empress) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Empress. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EmpressOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Empress. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.9550, Longitude: -110.0079 |
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Empress to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.996 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.32 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.333 degrees.||