Curious and Interesting Names Near Embarras ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
(20 miles [32.2 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bickerdike came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bickerdike
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Bickerdike
- Medicine Lodge
(16 miles [25.7 km] to the north)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Medicine Lodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Medicine Lodge
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Medicine Lodge
- Mountain Park ‑ Historic
(30 miles [48.3 km] to the southwest)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Mountain Park. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Park
How Far From Embarras to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Embarras to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<3> beginning in Embarras and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 140 miles [225.3 km]<3> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Embarras to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,901 miles [3,059.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,320 miles [10,171.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,084 miles [11,400.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,200 miles [8,368.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Embarras) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Embarras. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3000, Longitude: -116.9000 |
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Embarras to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.58 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.858 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.492 degrees.||