Curious and Interesting Names Near Dinant ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruce
- Bruce lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Dinant
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bruce came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruce
- Cooking Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cooking Lake
- Cooking Lake lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northwest of Dinant
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cooking Lake
- Hay Lakes
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hay Lakes
- Hay Lakes lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Dinant
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hay Lakes
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- New Norway
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poe
- Poe lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Dinant
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Poe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poe
- Rolly View
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolly View
- Rolly View lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the west of Dinant
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rolly View came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolly View
- Round Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Round Hill
- Round Hill lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Dinant
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Round Hill
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Dinant. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- August Solberg 'Gus' Marker (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Wetaskiwin (Alberta) on Tueday August 1, 1905 and died in Kingston (Ontario) on Tueday October 7, 1997 at the age of 92. He is buried at Cataraqui Cemetery (Frontenac County, Ontario).
- Wetaskiwin is located 25 miles [40.2 km] to the southwest of Dinant.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: August Solberg 'Gus' Marker<4>
How Far From Dinant to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Dinant to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Dinant and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<1> to the northwest (NW). If you could walk a straight line from Dinant to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,732 miles [2,787.4 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,259 miles [10,072.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,026 miles [11,307.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,106 miles [8,217.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dinant) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dinant. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.1333, Longitude: -112.8167 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Dinant to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.266 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.09 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.779 degrees.||