Our Genealogy Helper for Cowley ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cowley (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cowley. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cowley:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Cowley ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cowley.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cowley covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Cowley Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Colony
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pincher Creek Colony
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Pincher Creek Colony. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Creek Colony
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2660492<1>
- Pincher Creek Pioneer Cemetery
- Livingstone Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Fairview Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Fairview Cemetery
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Cowley.
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery has also been known as:
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2314867<1>
- Passburg Cemetery
- Bellevue Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bellevue Union Cemetery
- The Bellevue Union Cemetery is located outside and to the north of Bellevue.To be more accurate, Bellevue Union Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the west of Cowley.
- Bellevue Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bellevue Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bellevue Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2247788<1>
- Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Brocket Colony Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Cowley.
- Brocket Colony Cemetery has also been known as:
- Brocket Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brocket Colony Cemetery
- St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery
- St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the west of Cowley.
- St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bellevue Catholic Cemetery
- Our Lady of Lourdes Cemetery
- St. Cyril's RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2445191<1>
- Hillcrest Mines Cemetery
- Lille Cemetery
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- The Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) is located outside and to the north of Blairmore.Stated another way, Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the west of Cowley.
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) has also been known as:
- Miner's Union New Cemetery
- New Blairmore Union Cemetery
- New Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2445875<1>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cowley. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cowley.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Cowley ...
While our initial data about Cowley came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Cowley in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Cowley.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Cowley. See our Misc Page for Cowley for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cowley. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cowley) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cowley. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CowleyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cowley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.5667, Longitude: -114.0667 |