Communities Also Named Chinook ...
We have found three communities that share the name Chinook.
Within Alberta, the name Chinook is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Vigo County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Indiana community of Chinook [Vigo County].
- Blaine County
- This Chinook is located in Blaine County and lies 219 miles [352.4 km]<2> to the south southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chinook
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Blaine County community of Chinook.
- Pacific County
- This Chinook is located in Pacific County and lies 693 miles [1,115.3 km]<2> to the west southwest.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chinook
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Pacific County community of Chinook.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Chinook ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Stone
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Big Stone came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Stone
- Big Stone lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Stone
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cereal came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cereal
- Cereal lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cereal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Excel came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Excel
- Excel lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Excel
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monitor
- Monitor lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monitor
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richdale
- Richdale lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the west of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richdale
- Rose Lynn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rose Lynn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rose Lynn
- Rose Lynn lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<2> to the west of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rose Lynn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Veteran came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Veteran
- Veteran lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Chinook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Veteran
How Far From Chinook to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Chinook to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Chinook and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 174 miles [280 km]<2> to the northwest (NW). If you could drive a straight line from Chinook to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,648 miles [2,652.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,318 miles [10,167.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,086 miles [11,403.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,137 miles [8,267.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chinook. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Chinook could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Chinook) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chinook. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Chinook
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chinook. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.5756, Longitude: -110.9196
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Chinook to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.73 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.212 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.812 degrees.||