Curious and Interesting Names Near Cardston ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Chief Mountain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chief Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chief Mountain
- Chief Mountain lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chief Mountain
- Hill Spring
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hill Spring came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hill Spring
- Hill Spring lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Spring
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hillspring came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillspring
- Hillspring lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillspring
- Mountain View
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Pincher Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Raymond came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Raymond
- Raymond lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Raymond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Raymond<3>
- Stand Off
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stand Off
- Stand Off lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the north of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stand Off
- Twin Butte
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Twin Butte came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twin Butte
- Twin Butte lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the west of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twin Butte
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Twin Butte<3>
- Whiskey Gap
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whiskey Gap came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whiskey Gap
- Whiskey Gap lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the southeast of Cardston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whiskey Gap
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Cardston. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Colin Archibald Low (Filmmaker, director, producer)
- Filmmaker, director, producer. He was born in Cardston on Saturday July 24, 1926 and died in Montreal (Quebec) on Wednesday February 24, 2016 at the age of 89.
- Fay Wray (Actress)
- Actress. She was born in Cardston on Sunday September 15, 1907 and died in New York (New York) on Sunday August 8, 2004 at the age of 96. She is buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery (Los Angeles County, California).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Fay Wray<4>
How Far From Cardston to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Cardston to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cardston and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 300 miles [482.8 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Cardston to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 17 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 12 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,761 miles [2,834.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,512 miles [10,480 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,280 miles [11,716 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,331 miles [8,579.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cardston: www.town.cardston.ab.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cardston) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cardston. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cardston
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cardston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.1970, Longitude: -113.3017
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cardston to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.579 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.118 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.73 degrees.||