Our Genealogy Helper for Bow Island ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Bow Island (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Bow Island. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Bow Island ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Bow Island: Bow Is. (in Canada, 'Isld.' is the more common abbreviation.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Bow Island:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Bow Island ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Bow Island.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Bow Island covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Bow Island Cemetery
- Burdett Community Cemetery
- Assumption Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Assumption Cemetery
- The Assumption Cemetery is located 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Grassy Lake.More accurately, Assumption Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest of Bow Island.
- Assumption Cemetery has also been known as:
- Assumption Catholic Cemetery
- Assumption RC Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Catholic Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Assumption Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2214187<1>
- Fertile Plains Cemetery
- Whitla Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island.
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery has also been known as:
- Prairie View Cemetery
- Prairieview Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2444907<1>
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- The St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery is located 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Etzikom.Stated another way, St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km] to the southeast of Bow Island.
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Anthony RC Cemetery
- St. Anthony's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2548158<1>
- Westview Cemetery of Grassy Lake
- St. Joseph's Cemetery
- Seven Persons Cemetery
- Purple Springs Cemetery
- Nemiskam Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Nemiskam Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Nemiskam Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Nemiskam Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the south of Bow Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nemiskam Cemetery
- Continue List (9 more) ...
- Foremost Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Foremost Cemetery
- Foremost Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the south of Bow Island.
- Foremost Cemetery has also been known as:
- Foremost Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Foremost Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2209384<1>
- Redcliff Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Redcliff Cemetery
- Redcliff Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the northeast of Bow Island.
- Redcliff Cemetery has also been known as:
- Redcliff Community Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redcliff Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2309461<1>
- Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery
- The Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery is located outside and to the south of Alderson.Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the north of Bow Island.
- Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery has also been known as:
- Alderson Cemetery
- Carlstadt Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alderson / Carlstadt Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Bow Island. See our List of 1890's Communities around Bow Island.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Bow Island
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Bow Island: www.bowisland.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bow Island) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bow Island. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bow IslandOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bow Island. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8667, Longitude: -111.3667 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|