Curious and Interesting Names Near Banff ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Anthracite was located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Banff
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Castle Mountain
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Mountain
- Castle Mountain lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the west of Banff
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Mountain
- Dead Man's Flats
- Eisenhower Junction
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eisenhower Junction
- Eisenhower Junction lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the west of Banff
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eisenhower Junction came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eisenhower Junction
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Georgetown - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Banff
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Ghost Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ghost Lake
- Ghost Lake lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the east of Banff
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ghost Lake
- Lake Louise
How Far From Banff to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Banff to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Banff and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 185 miles [297.7 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Banff to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,849 miles [2,975.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 105 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,431 miles [10,349.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,198 miles [11,584.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,284 miles [8,503.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Banff: www.banff.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Banff) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Banff. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BanffOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Banff. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1784, Longitude: -115.5707 |
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Banff to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.463 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.431 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.923 degrees.||