Welcome to Banff ...
When the people of Banff refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Banffite<1>
The town of Banff was founded in 1885.
Banff is 4,590 feet [1,399 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Banff is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Banff lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Banff: (403) & (587)<3>
Websites for Banff ...
Official Website: www.banff.ca/
Communities near Banff ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Banff.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Exshaw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Exshaw
- Exshaw lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Banff
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Exshaw
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Exshaw<5>
- Harvie Heights
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harvie Heights came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harvie Heights
- Harvie Heights lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Banff
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harvie Heights
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Harvie Heights<5>
- Lac des Arcs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lac des Arcs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lac des Arcs
- Lac des Arcs lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Banff
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lac des Arcs
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Bankhead - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bankhead
- Bankhead was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Banff
- Minnewanka Landing - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Minnewanka Landing. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Minnewanka Landing
- Minnewanka Landing was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Banff
- Dead Man's Flats
- Castle Junction
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kananaskis came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kananaskis
- Kananaskis lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<4> to the east of Banff
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kananaskis
- Ozada - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ozada
- Ozada was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the east of Banff
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Banff ...
Looking for more information about Banff? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Banff, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Banff.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Banff: www.banff.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Banff refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Banff may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Banff - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Banff) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Banff. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Banff
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Banff. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1667, Longitude: -115.5667
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|