Welcome to Amelia ...
Although we found mention of Amelia during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Amelia was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Amelia to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Amelia, please Contact Us.
We aren't confident of the location of Amelia, so consider the above location as an estimate.<2>
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Amelia might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
We believe that Amelia would be found within the (780) & (587)<3> area codes.
Communities Also Named Amelia ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 11 communities that are also named Amelia - they are located in Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Amelia.
Communities near Amelia ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Amelia.
- Fort Saskatchewan
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lamont
- Lamont lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Amelia
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lamont came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lamont
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lamont<5>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Bon Accord
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bon Accord
- Bon Accord lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the west of Amelia
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bon Accord came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bon Accord
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bon Accord<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruderhein
- Bruderhein lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Amelia
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruderhein
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thorhild
- Thorhild lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the north of Amelia
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thorhild
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waskatenau
- Waskatenau lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Amelia
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waskatenau
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Josephburg
- Josephburg lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the south of Amelia
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Josephburg
- Hewitt Estates
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hewitt Estates
- Hewitt Estates lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the west of Amelia
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hewitt Estates
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Amelia ...
Looking for more information about Amelia? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Amelia, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Amelia.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Amelia and then turned west". While Amelia could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Amelia as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Amelia could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Amelia) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Amelia. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8908, Longitude: -113.0501
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|