Our Genealogy Helper for Altario ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Altario (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Altario. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Altario:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
- Stories from Saskatchewan
Cemeteries Near Altario ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Altario.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Altario covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Altario Cemetery
- Mt. Carmel Cemetery
- St. Donatus South Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the St. Donatus South Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- St. Donatus South Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Altario.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Donatus South Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Donatus South Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2593406<2>
- Fusilier Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery is located outside and to the southeast of Loverna (SK).
- To be precise, Mt. Pleasant Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south of Altario.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- St. Peter's RC Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Rosenheim Cemetery
- Provost Mennonite Cemetery
- Major / District Cemetery
- The Major / District Cemetery is located outside and to the east of Major (SK).
- To be more accurate, Major / District Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the east of Altario.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Major / District Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Major / District Cemetery
- Skyline Lutheran Cemetery
- St. Elizabeth's RC Cemetery
- Lakeroad Cemetery
- Cadogan West Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Cadogan West Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Cadogan West Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the north of Altario.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cadogan West Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cadogan West Cemetery
- St. Andrew RC Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Altario. See our List of 1890's Communities around Altario.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Altario. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Altario) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Altario. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Altario
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altario. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.9182, Longitude: -110.1626
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|