Curious and Interesting Names Near Abbeydale ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
(11 miles [17.7 km] to the north)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Balzac came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Balzac
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Balzac
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Balzac <2>
- Coral Springs
(3 miles [4.8 km] to the north)
- Deer Run
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the south)
- Forest Lawn
(2 miles [3.2 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Forest Lawn
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the southwest)
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the west)
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the southeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Janet came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Janet
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Janet
- Signal Hill
(11 miles [17.7 km] to the west)
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the west)
- Vista Heights
(3 miles [4.8 km] to the west)
How Far From Abbeydale to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Abbeydale to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<3> beginning in Abbeydale and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 172 miles [276.8 km]<3> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Abbeydale to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,779 miles [2,863 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,408 miles [10,312.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,176 miles [11,548.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,247 miles [8,444.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Abbeydale. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Abbeydale) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Abbeydale. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AbbeydaleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abbeydale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0601, Longitude: -113.9279 |
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Abbeydale to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.133 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.904 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.861 degrees.||