Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Sweetwater Crossing, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Sweetwater Crossing and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Sweetwater Crossing:
- 42.541626, -108.179537
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Sweetwater Crossing
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Fremont County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Fremont County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Sweetwater Crossing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- French George Crossing [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for French George Crossing
- French George Crossing [Fremont County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the west of Sweetwater Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for French George Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on French George Crossing
- Miners Delight [Fremont County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Miners Delight
- Miners Delight [Fremont County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Sweetwater Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Miners Delight have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sand Draw [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sand Draw
- Sand Draw [Fremont County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Sweetwater Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sand Draw have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sand Draw
- Sweetwater Station [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater Station
- Sweetwater Station [Fremont County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the west of Sweetwater Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater Station have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater Station
How Far From Sweetwater Crossing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Sweetwater Crossing to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Sweetwater Crossing and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lander, which is the Seat of Fremont County and lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Sweetwater Crossing to Lander, with an average speed<3> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 198 miles [318.7 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 12 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,639 miles [2,637.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,797 miles [10,938.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,564 miles [12,173.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,530 miles [8,899.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Wyoming
About Fremont County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sweetwater Crossing. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fremont County: www.fremontcounty.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Sweetwater Crossing) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sweetwater Crossing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.5416, Longitude: -108.1795 In this case, the coordinates for Sweetwater Crossing have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Sweetwater Crossing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.188 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.438 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.449 degrees.||