Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Rock River, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Rock River and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Rock River:
- 41.743260, -105.976804
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Rock River
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Albany County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Albany County
- Since Rock River is near Carbon County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Carbon County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Rock River ...
We have found one communities that share the name Rock River.
Within Wyoming, the name Rock River is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, there is another community also named Rock River in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Alger County
- This Rock River is located in Alger County and lies 996 miles [1,602.9 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Rock River that is located in Albany County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock River
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Alger County community of Rock River.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Rock River ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Carbon [Carbon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbon
- Carbon [Carbon County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Rock River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carbon have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Elk Mountain [Carbon County]
- Harper [Albany County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harper
- Harper [Albany County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southeast of Rock River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harper have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harper
- Lookout [Albany County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lookout
- Lookout [Albany County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Rock River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lookout have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Medicine Bow [Carbon County]
- Oil Springs [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oil Springs
- Oil Springs [Carbon County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Rock River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oil Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oil Springs
- Rock Creek [Albany County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Creek
- Rock Creek [Albany County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Rock River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rock Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Wyoming Station [Albany County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wyoming Station
- Wyoming Station [Albany County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Rock River
- Wyoming Station has also been known as:
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Rock River. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Judy Tyler (Actress)
- Actress. She was born in Milwaukee (Wisconsin) on Sunday October 9, 1932 and died in Rock River on Wednesday July 3, 1957 at the age of 24. She is buried at Ferncliff Cemetery (Westchester County, New York).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Judy Tyler<4>
How Far From Rock River to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Rock River to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Rock River and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Laramie, which is the Seat of Albany County and lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the south southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Rock River to Laramie, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 73 miles [117.5 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,528 miles [2,459.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 60 days and walking would take 87 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,785 miles [10,919.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,550 miles [12,150.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,497 miles [8,846.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Wyoming
About Albany County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Rock River. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Albany County: www.co.albany.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Rock River) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Rock River. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Rock RiverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Rock River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.7433, Longitude: -105.9768 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Rock River to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.444 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.322 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.285 degrees.||