Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Leiter, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Leiter and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Leiter:
- 44.717848, -106.268741
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Leiter
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Leiter ...
We have found one communities that share the name Leiter.
Within Wyoming, the name Leiter is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, there is another community also named Leiter in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- West Virginia
- Randolph County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the West Virginia community of Leiter [Randolph County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Leiter ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Horn [Sheridan County]
- Buffalo [Johnson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo
- Buffalo [Johnson County] lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Leiter
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,659 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Buffalo<3>
- Decker [Big Horn County]
- Moorhead [Powder River County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moorhead
- Moorhead [Powder River County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Leiter
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Moorhead have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moorhead
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Otter [Powder River County]
- Recluse [Campbell County]
- Saddlestring [Johnson County]
- Spotted Horse [Campbell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spotted Horse
- Spotted Horse [Campbell County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the east of Leiter
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spotted Horse have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spotted Horse
- Story [Sheridan County]
- Wildcat [Campbell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wildcat
- Wildcat [Campbell County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the east of Leiter
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wildcat have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wildcat
How Far From Leiter to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Leiter to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Leiter and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Sheridan, which is the Seat of Sheridan County and lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<2> to the west. If you could walk a straight line from Leiter to Sheridan, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 258 miles [415.2 km] to the south southeast (SSE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 10 days and walking would take 15 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,548 miles [2,491.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 88 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,619 miles [10,652.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,386 miles [11,886.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,354 miles [8,616.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Wyoming
About Sheridan County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Leiter. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sheridan County: www.sheridancounty.com/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Leiter, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Leiter) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Leiter. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LeiterOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Leiter. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.7178, Longitude: -106.2687 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Leiter to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.864 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.116 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.052 degrees.||