Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Jack Pine, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Jack Pine and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Jack Pine:
- 43.326047, -110.434075
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Jack Pine
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Teton County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Teton County
- Since Jack Pine is near Sublette County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Sublette County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Jack Pine ...
We have found two communities that share the name Jack Pine.
Within Wyoming, the name Jack Pine is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Crawford County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Jack Pine [Crawford County].
- Clearwater County
- This Jack Pine is located in Clearwater County and lies 774 miles [1,245.6 km]<2> to the east northeast of the Jack Pine that is located in Teton County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jack Pine
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Clearwater County community of Jack Pine.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Jack Pine ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Alpine [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alpine
- Alpine [Lincoln County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the west of Jack Pine
- Population from the 2020 Census: 937 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alpine
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Alpine<3>
- Beaver Creek [Teton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Creek
- Beaver Creek [Teton County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Jack Pine
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaver Creek
- Daniel [Sublette County]
- Freedom [Lincoln County]
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Kelly [Teton County]
- Moose [Teton County]
- South Park [Teton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for South Park
- South Park [Teton County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the west of Jack Pine
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for South Park have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on South Park
How Far From Jack Pine to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Jack Pine to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Jack Pine and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Jackson, which is the Seat of Teton County and lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the west northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Jack Pine to Jackson, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 hours.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 324 miles [521.4 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take five to six hours, a buggy would take 13 days and walking would take 19 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,752 miles [2,819.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,807 miles [10,954.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,576 miles [12,192.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,561 miles [8,949.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Wyoming
About Teton County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Jack Pine. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Teton County: www.tetonwyo.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Jack Pine could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Jack Pine) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Jack Pine. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.3260, Longitude: -110.4341 In this case, the coordinates for Jack Pine have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Jack Pine to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.997 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.623 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.683 degrees.||