Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hat Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hat Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hat Creek:
- 42.939412, -104.369671
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hat Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hat Creek ...
We have found four communities that share the name Hat Creek.
There is one other community in Wyoming which is also named Hat Creek.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Located In Wyoming ...
- Converse County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming community of Hat Creek [Converse County].
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Shasta County
- This Hat Creek is located in Shasta County and lies 891 miles [1,433.9 km]<2> to the west of the Hat Creek that is located in Niobrara County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hat Creek
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Shasta County community of Hat Creek.
- South Dakota
- Fall River County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the South Dakota community of Hat Creek [Fall River County].
- Campbell County
- This Hat Creek is located in Campbell County and lies 1,398 miles [2,249.9 km]<2> to the east of the Hat Creek that is located in Niobrara County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hat Creek
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Campbell County community of Hat Creek.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hat Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Lost Springs [Converse County]
- Manville [Niobrara County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manville
- Manville [Niobrara County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Hat Creek
- Population from the 2020 Census: 83 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Manville<3>
- Node [Niobrara County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Node
- Node [Niobrara County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Hat Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Node have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Node
- Redbird [Niobrara County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redbird
- Redbird [Niobrara County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the north of Hat Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redbird have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redbird
- Story [Sioux County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Story
- Story [Sioux County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the east of Hat Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Story have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Story
How Far From Hat Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Hat Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Hat Creek once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Hat Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lusk, which is the Seat of Niobrara County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Hat Creek to Lusk, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 126 miles [202.8 km] to the south (S). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,446 miles [2,327.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 57 days and walking would take 83 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,671 miles [10,735.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,436 miles [11,967.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,381 miles [8,659.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Wyoming
About Niobrara County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hat Creek could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hat Creek) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hat Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.9394, Longitude: -104.3697 In this case, the coordinates for Hat Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Hat Creek, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hat Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.317 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 325.136 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.218 degrees.||