Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Fontenelle, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Fontenelle and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Fontenelle:
- 41.985475, -110.061360
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Fontenelle
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Fontenelle ...
We have found three communities that share the name Fontenelle.
There is one other community in Wyoming which is also named Fontenelle.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these two communities, .
- Communities Located In Wyoming ...
- Uinta County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming community of Fontenelle [Uinta County].
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Fontenelle #1
- This community is historic<1> and we have little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for Fontenelle.
- This Fontenelle lies 2,221 miles [3,574.4 km]<2> to the east northeast of the Fontenelle that is located in Lincoln County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fontenelle
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fontenelle ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Piney [Sublette County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Piney
- Big Piney [Sublette County] lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the north of Fontenelle
- Population from the 2020 Census: 516 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Piney
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Big Piney<3>
- Diamondville [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Diamondville
- Diamondville [Lincoln County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Fontenelle
- Population from the 2020 Census: 766 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Diamondville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Diamondville<3>
- Eden [Sweetwater County]
- Frontier [Lincoln County]
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Little America [Sweetwater County]
- Opal [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Opal
- Opal [Lincoln County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Fontenelle
- Population from the 2020 Census: 109 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Opal
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Opal<3>
- Rocky Crossing [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rocky Crossing
- Rocky Crossing [Lincoln County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Fontenelle
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rocky Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rocky Crossing
How Far From Fontenelle to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fontenelle to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fontenelle and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Kemmerer, which is the Seat of Lincoln County and lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the west southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Fontenelle to Kemmerer, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 277 miles [445.8 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 11 days and walking would take 16 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,737 miles [2,795.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,879 miles [11,070.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,647 miles [12,306.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,621 miles [9,046.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Lincoln County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fontenelle. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lincoln County: www.co.lincoln.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Fontenelle could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fontenelle) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fontenelle. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from FontenelleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fontenelle. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.9855, Longitude: -110.0614 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fontenelle to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.601 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.038 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.599 degrees.||