Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Durkee, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Durkee and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Durkee:
- 44.130513, -107.913427
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Durkee
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Durkee ...
We have found two communities that share the name Durkee.
Within Wyoming, the name Durkee is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Oakland County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Durkee [Oakland County].
- Baker County
- This Durkee is located in Baker County and lies 472 miles [759.6 km]<2> to the west of the Durkee that is located in Washakie County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Durkee
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Baker County community of Durkee.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Durkee ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Airport Road [Washakie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Airport Road
- Airport Road [Washakie County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the south of Durkee
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Airport Road have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Airport Road
- Basin [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Basin
- Basin [Big Horn County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the north of Durkee
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,257 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Basin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Basin<4>
- Greybull [Big Horn County]
- Kirby [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kirby
- Kirby [Hot Springs County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Durkee
- Population from the 2020 Census: 84 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kirby
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kirby<4>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- McNutt [Washakie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McNutt
- McNutt [Washakie County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Durkee
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for McNutt. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McNutt
- Otto [Big Horn County]
- Shell [Big Horn County]
- Ten Sleep [Washakie County]
How Far From Durkee to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Durkee to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Durkee and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Worland, which is the Seat of Washakie County and lies just to the South Southwest.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 260 miles [418.4 km]<2> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Durkee to Cheyenne, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,626 miles [2,616.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,696 miles [10,776.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,464 miles [12,012.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,438 miles [8,751.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Wyoming
About Washakie County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Durkee. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Durkee could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Durkee) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Durkee. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.1305, Longitude: -107.9134 In this case, the coordinates for Durkee have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Durkee to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.093 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.482 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.10 degrees.||