Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Dines, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Dines and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Dines:
- 41.726075, -109.172624
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Dines
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Sweetwater County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Sweetwater County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Dines ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Green River [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Green River
- Green River [Sweetwater County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Dines
- Population from the 2020 Census: 11,788 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Green River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Green River<2>
- Hallville [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hallville
- Hallville [Sweetwater County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Dines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hallville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hallville
- James Town [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for James Town
- James Town [Sweetwater County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Dines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on James Town
- Peru [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peru
- Peru [Sweetwater County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Dines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peru have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peru
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Purple Sage [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Sage
- Purple Sage [Sweetwater County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Dines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Sage
- Reliance [Sweetwater County]
- Rock Springs [Sweetwater County]
- Salt Wells [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Wells
- Salt Wells [Sweetwater County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Dines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Wells have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salt Wells
- Superior [Sweetwater County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Dines. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Curt Gowdy (Sportscaster)
- Sportscaster. He was born in Green River (Wyoming) on Thursday July 31, 1919 and died in Palm Beach (Florida) on Monday February 20, 2006 at the age of 86. He is buried at Mt. Auburn Cemetery (Middlesex County, Massachusetts).
- Green River is located 20 miles [32.2 km] to the southwest of Dines.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Curt Gowdy<4>
How Far From Dines to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Dines to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Dines once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Dines and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Green River, which is the Seat of Sweetwater County and lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Dines to Green River, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 229 miles [368.5 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,693 miles [2,724.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,871 miles [11,057.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,639 miles [12,293.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,605 miles [9,020.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Wyoming
About Sweetwater County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Sweetwater County: www.co.sweet.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dines) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dines. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.7261, Longitude: -109.1726 In this case, the coordinates for Dines have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Dines, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Dines to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.889 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.18 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.109 degrees.||