Welcome to Dillon ...
So far, we have found very little information about Dillon. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Dillon to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Dillon, please Contact Us.
Dillon would have been located within present day Carbon County<2>.
The location of Dillon has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Dillon is 9,070 feet [2,765 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Dillon is about 1¾ mile [or ~2¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Dillon was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Dillon would have been located in the (307) area code.
Communities Also Named Dillon ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 23 communities that are also named Dillon - they are located in California, Colorado, Georgia (3), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi (2), Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Ontario, Saskatchewan, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Dillon.
Communities near Dillon ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Dillon.
- Grand Encampment [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grand Encampment
- Grand Encampment [Carbon County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the east of Dillon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grand Encampment came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grand Encampment
- Encampment [Carbon County]
- Riverside [Carbon County]
- Savery [Carbon County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Columbine [Routt County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Columbine
- Columbine [Routt County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the south of Dillon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Columbine
- Saratoga [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saratoga
- Saratoga [Carbon County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the northeast of Dillon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,599 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saratoga
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Saratoga<7>
- Dixon [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dixon
- Dixon [Carbon County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the southwest of Dillon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 94 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dixon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dixon<7>
- Hahns Peak [Routt County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hahns Peak
- Hahns Peak [Routt County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the south of Dillon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hahns Peak
- Slater [Moffat County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slater
- Slater [Moffat County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the southwest of Dillon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Slater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Slater
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Slater<7>
- Baggs [Carbon County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Dillon. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Dillon.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Dillon. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Dillon.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Dillon. See our Newspapers Page for Dillon.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Wyoming
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Dillon, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wyoming's counties, including Carbon, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Dillon - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dillon) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dillon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.1766, Longitude: -107.0923 In this case, the coordinates for Dillon have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|