Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Atlantic City, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Atlantic City and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Atlantic City:
- 42.497336, -108.730415
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Atlantic City
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Fremont County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Fremont County
- Since Atlantic City is near Sublette County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Sublette County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Atlantic City ...
We have found two communities that share the name Atlantic City.
Within Wyoming, the name Atlantic City is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Lewis and Clark County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Atlantic City [Lewis and Clark County].
- New Jersey
- Atlantic County
- This Atlantic City is located in Atlantic County and lies 1,788 miles [2,877.5 km]<2> to the east of the Atlantic City that is located in Fremont County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Atlantic City
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Atlantic County community of Atlantic City.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Atlantic City ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Sandy [Sublette County]
- Boulder Flats [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Boulder Flats
- Boulder Flats [Fremont County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the north of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Boulder Flats have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Boulder Flats
- Elkhorn Junction [Sublette County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elkhorn Junction
- Elkhorn Junction [Sublette County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the west of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elkhorn Junction have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elkhorn Junction
- French George Crossing [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for French George Crossing
- French George Crossing [Fremont County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the east of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for French George Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on French George Crossing
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Miners Delight [Fremont County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Miners Delight
- Miners Delight [Fremont County] was located 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Miners Delight have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sweetwater Crossing [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater Crossing
- Sweetwater Crossing [Fremont County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the east of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater Crossing
- Sweetwater Station [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater Station
- Sweetwater Station [Fremont County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the east of Atlantic City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater Station have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater Station
How Far From Atlantic City to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Atlantic City to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Atlantic City and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lander, which is the Seat of Fremont County and lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the north. If you could walk a straight line from Atlantic City to Lander, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 222 miles [357.3 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,667 miles [2,682.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,814 miles [10,966.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,582 miles [12,202 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,550 miles [8,931.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Fremont County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Atlantic City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fremont County: www.fremontcounty.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Atlantic City, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Atlantic City) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Atlantic City. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Atlantic CityOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atlantic City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.4973, Longitude: -108.7304 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Atlantic City to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.609 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.926 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.773 degrees.||