Census Data for Buena Vista ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Buena Vista a population of 1,820 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Buena Vista a population of 1,869 people.
The community of Buena Vista is located in Richland County. The 2010 Census gave Richland County; a population of 18,021 people. This means that Buena Vista had 10.37% of the county's total population, making it Richland's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, Wisconsin had a population of 5,686,986 people, meaning that Buena Vista had 0.03% of the total population of Wisconsin - making it the state's 473rd most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Buena Vista has a total area of 42.07 square miles [109 km²]. Of this total, 41.12 square miles [106.5 km²] is land, with the balance (2.25%) being water (0.94 square miles [2.4 km²]).
Richland County has a land area of 586 square miles [1,518.1 km²]. At 41.12 square miles [106.5 km²], Buena Vista has 7.02% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a community like Buena Vista, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the community.
- Things like population, area and housing for Buena Vista reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Buena Vista might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 43° 14' 17" (or 43.24°)
- Lon: -90° 14' 42" (or -90.25°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Buena Vista had 785 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 1,869 people, this averages 2.38 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Buena Vista had a land area of 41.12 square miles [106.5 km²]. This translates to 18.66 Housing Units per square mile [7.2 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Buena Vista had 654 Housing Units, a population of 1,575 people and a land area of 41.06 square miles [106.4 km²]. This gives a density of 2.41 people per Housing Unit and 15.57 Housing Units per square mile [6.01 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Buena Vista and you need to be careful when comparing results between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Richland County ...
The community of Buena Vista is located in Richland County<4>.
The county had a population of 18,021 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 1,869 people, Buena Vista represented 10.37% of the county's total.
In addition, where the community of Buena Vista has a population density of 44.43 people per square mile [17.15 people/km²], Richland County averages 30.74 people per square mile [11.87 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Richland County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Buena Vista, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Buena Vista. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Buena Vista or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Buena Vista, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Buena Vista.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 43.238200° (or 43°14'17" N)
- Lon: -90.245275° (or -90°14'42" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 43.253775° (or 43°15'13" N)
- Lon: -90.266519° (or -90°15'59" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 8,004 feet to the southeast<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1582883) to Buena Vista. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Buena Vista. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 43.248044° (or 43°14'52" N)
- Lon: -90.254846° (or -90°15'17" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 4,397 feet to the southeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Buena Vista. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Buena Vista.
Miscellaneous Information for Buena Vista ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Richland County or the community of Buena Vista:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Buena Vista:
- GNIS ID for Buena Vista: 1582883
- GNIS ID for Richland County: 1581112
- GNIS ID for State of Wisconsin: 1779806
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Buena Vista is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #3 (the East North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Buena Vista.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Wisconsin
About Richland County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Buena Vista. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Richland County: www.co.richland.wi.us/
The official website for State of Wisconsin: https://www.wisconsin.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wisconsin's counties, including Richland, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 224 degrees and a distance of 8,004 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 215 degrees and a distance of 4,397 feet.|