Welcome to Skamokawa ...
Skamokawa is located on the Oregon border (on the Columbia River).
Skamokawa is located in Wahkiakum County<1>.
The pronunciation of Skamokawa: skuh-MAH-kuh-way<2>
Skamokawa is near sea level<3>.
Time Zone: Skamokawa lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Skamokawa is within the (360) area code.
The ZIP code for Skamokawa: 98647<4>
Communities near Skamokawa ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Skamokawa.
- Astoria [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Astoria
- Astoria [Clatsop County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the west of Skamokawa
- Population from the 2020 Census: 10,029 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Astoria
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Astoria<6>
- Clatskanie [Columbia County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clatskanie
- Clatskanie [Columbia County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Skamokawa
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,832 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clatskanie
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Clatskanie<6>
- Cathlamet [Wahkiakum County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cathlamet
- Cathlamet [Wahkiakum County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southeast of Skamokawa
- Population from the 2020 Census: 541 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cathlamet
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cathlamet<6>
- Clifton [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clifton
- Clifton [Clatsop County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the south of Skamokawa
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clifton
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Brookfield [Wahkiakum County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brookfield
- Brookfield [Wahkiakum County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the west of Skamokawa
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brookfield have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brookfield
- Brownsmead [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brownsmead
- Brownsmead [Clatsop County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southwest of Skamokawa
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brownsmead
- East Cathlamet [Wahkiakum County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Cathlamet
- East Cathlamet [Wahkiakum County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Skamokawa
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for East Cathlamet have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Cathlamet
- Dahlia [Wahkiakum County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dahlia
- Dahlia [Wahkiakum County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the west of Skamokawa
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dahlia
- Grays River [Wahkiakum County]
- Rosburg [Wahkiakum County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Skamokawa. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Skamokawa.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Skamokawa. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Skamokawa.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Skamokawa. See our Newspapers Page for Skamokawa.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Skamokawa ...
Looking for more information about Skamokawa? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Skamokawa, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Skamokawa.
Adding Skamokawa to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Skamokawa in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Skamokawa was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Skamokawa on a map titled Auto Trails Map of Washington (1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Skamokawa on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Washington
About Wahkiakum County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Skamokawa. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Washington's counties, including Wahkiakum, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Skamokawa. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Skamokawa - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Skamokawa). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Skamokawa or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Skamokawa) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Skamokawa. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from SkamokawaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Skamokawa. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.2705, Longitude: -123.4570 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|