Welcome to Altoona ...
Although we found mention of Altoona during our research, we have little information about it.<1> Given the context of how Altoona was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Altoona to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Altoona, please Contact Us.
Altoona is located on the Oregon border (on the Columbia River).
The location of Altoona has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
When the people of Altoona refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Altoonan<3>
Altoona is 50 feet [15 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Altoona might be (or was) located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
We believe that Altoona would be found within the (360) area code.
Communities Also Named Altoona ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 10 communities that are also named Altoona - they are located in Alabama, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Altoona.
Communities near Altoona ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Altoona.
- Astoria [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Astoria
- Astoria [Clatsop County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Altoona
- Estimated population in 2019: 10,015 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Astoria
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Astoria<6>
- Warrenton [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warrenton
- Warrenton [Clatsop County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Altoona
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,739 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Warrenton have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warrenton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Warrenton<6>
- Long Beach [Pacific County]
- Ilwaco [Pacific County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Hammond [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hammond
- Hammond [Clatsop County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the west of Altoona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hammond have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hammond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hammond<6>
- Cathlamet [Wahkiakum County]
- Brookfield [Wahkiakum County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brookfield
- Brookfield [Wahkiakum County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the east of Altoona
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brookfield have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brookfield
- Rosburg [Wahkiakum County]
- Brownsmead [Clatsop County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brownsmead
- Brownsmead [Clatsop County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Altoona
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brownsmead
- Grays River [Wahkiakum County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Altoona. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Altoona.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Altoona. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Altoona.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Altoona. See our Newspapers Page for Altoona.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Altoona ...
Looking for more information about Altoona? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Altoona, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Altoona.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Washington
About Wahkiakum County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Altoona and then turned west". While Altoona could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Altoona as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Altoona could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Altoona refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Altoona may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Altoona - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Altoona) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altoona. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.2668, Longitude: -123.6563 In this case, the coordinates for Altoona have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|