Welcome to Atlanta ...
So far, we have found very little information about Atlanta. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Atlanta to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Atlanta, please Contact Us.
Atlanta would have been located within present day Skagit County<2>.
The location of Atlanta has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
When the people of Atlanta referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Atlantan<4>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Atlanta is near sea level<5>.
Time Zone: The area where Atlanta was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Atlanta still existed, it would have been in the (360) area code.
Communities Also Named Atlanta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Atlanta - they are located in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Nova Scotia, Ohio and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Atlanta.
Communities near Atlanta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Atlanta.
- Bellingham [Whatcom County]
- Mount Vernon [Skagit County]
- Anacortes [Skagit County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anacortes
- Anacortes [Skagit County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the southwest of Atlanta
- Population from the 2020 Census: 17,715 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anacortes
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Anacortes<7>
- Ferndale [Whatcom County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ferndale
- Ferndale [Whatcom County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the northwest of Atlanta
- Population from the 2020 Census: 15,531 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ferndale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ferndale<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Sedro-Woolley [Skagit County]
- Burlington [Skagit County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burlington
- Burlington [Skagit County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the southeast of Atlanta
- Population from the 2020 Census: 9,543 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burlington
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Burlington<7>
- La Conner [Skagit County]
- Lyman [Skagit County]
- Alger [Skagit County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alger
- Alger [Skagit County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<6> to the east of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Alger have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alger
- Chuckanut Village [Whatcom County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chuckanut Village
- Chuckanut Village [Whatcom County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Atlanta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chuckanut Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chuckanut Village
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Atlanta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Atlanta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Atlanta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Atlanta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Atlanta. See our Newspapers Page for Atlanta.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Washington Community
About Skagit County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Skagit County: www.skagitcounty.net/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Atlanta, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Washington's counties, including Skagit, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Atlanta refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Atlanta may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Atlanta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Atlanta) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atlanta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.6090, Longitude: -122.4346 In this case, the coordinates for Atlanta have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|