Welcome to Paria ...
So far, we have found very little information about Paria. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Paria to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Paria, please Contact Us.
Paria would have been located within present day Kane County<2>.
Paria was established in 1865.
Going back to its beginning, Paria was originally named Pahreah. For more information about the names of Paria, see The Names of Paria on our Genealogy Page.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Paria is 4,740 feet [1,445 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Paria is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Paria was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel south from Paria, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
The location where Paria once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities near Paria ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Paria.
- Big Water [Kane County]
- Shirts Fort [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shirts Fort
- Shirts Fort [Kane County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the south of Paria
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Shirts Fort. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Rockhouse [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockhouse
- Rockhouse [Kane County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the south of Paria
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Rockhouse. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Adairville [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Adairville
- Adairville [Kane County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the south of Paria
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Georgetown [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown [Kane County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the north of Paria
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Georgetown have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Clarkdale [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarkdale
- Clarkdale [Kane County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<4> to the west of Paria
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Clarkdale. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Clarkdale has also been known as:
- Skoots Pah
- Henrieville [Garfield County]
- Cannonville [Garfield County]
- Clifton [Garfield County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clifton
- Clifton [Garfield County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the north of Paria
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Clifton. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Johnson [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johnson
- Johnson [Kane County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the southwest of Paria
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Johnson. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Paria. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Paria.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Paria. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Paria.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Paria. See our Newspapers Page for Paria.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Paria
Find a Community within Utah
About Kane County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Paria, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Kane, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Paria - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Paria) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Paria. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from PariaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Paria. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.2481, Longitude: -111.9493 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|