Welcome to Lawrence ...
So far, we have found very little information about Lawrence. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Lawrence to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Lawrence, please Contact Us.
Lawrence would have been located within present day Emery County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Lawrence is 5,660 feet [1,725 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Lawrence is about 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Lawrence was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Lawrence would have been located in the (435) area code.
Adding Lawrence to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
We originally found mention of Lawrence in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, we also found mention of Lawrence elsewhere: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Lawrence on a .
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Lawrence on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Lawrence ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 35 communities that are also named Lawrence - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (2), Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Mississippi (2), Nebraska, New Jersey, New York (4), North Carolina, Ohio (4), Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Lawrence.
Communities near Lawrence ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Lawrence.
- Ferron [Emery County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ferron
- Ferron [Emery County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Lawrence
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,495 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ferron
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ferron<5>
- Castle Dale [Emery County]
- Orangeville [Emery County]
- Cleveland [Emery County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Elmo [Emery County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmo
- Elmo [Emery County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Lawrence
- Estimated population in 2019: 402 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elmo have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elmo<5>
- Clawson [Emery County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clawson
- Clawson [Emery County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the southwest of Lawrence
- Estimated population in 2019: 186 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clawson have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clawson
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Clawson<5>
- Hiawatha [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hiawatha
- Hiawatha [Carbon County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the north of Lawrence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hiawatha
- Wilsonville [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wilsonville
- Wilsonville [Emery County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the southwest of Lawrence
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Wilsonville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Desert Lake [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Desert Lake
- Desert Lake [Emery County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Lawrence
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Desert Lake. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Mohrland [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mohrland
- Mohrland [Emery County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Lawrence
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Lawrence. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Lawrence.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Lawrence. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lawrence.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Lawrence. See our Newspapers Page for Lawrence.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Utah
About Emery County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Emery County: www.co.emery.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Lawrence, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Emery, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Lawrence - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lawrence) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lawrence. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Lawrence
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lawrence. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2939, Longitude: -110.9290
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|