Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Ignatio, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Ignatio and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Ignatio:
- 39.978408, -109.179268
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Ignatio
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Ignatio ...
We have found one communities that share the name Ignatio.
There is one other community in Utah which is also named Ignatio.
- Communities Located In Utah ...
- The profile page for Ignatio #1 [County unknown]
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Utah community of Ignatio.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Ignatio ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bonanza [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bonanza
- Bonanza [Uintah County] lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the north of Ignatio
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bonanza
- Dinosaur [Moffat County]
- Dragon [Uintah County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dragon
- Dragon [Uintah County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Ignatio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dragon have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Dragon:
- Dragon Junction
- Jensen [Uintah County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Little Bonanza [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Bonanza
- Little Bonanza [Uintah County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Ignatio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Little Bonanza have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Bonanza
- Naples [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Naples
- Naples [Uintah County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Ignatio
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,082 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Naples
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Naples<3>
- Rainbow [Uintah County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rainbow
- Rainbow [Uintah County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the south of Ignatio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rainbow have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Red Wash [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Wash
- Red Wash [Uintah County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Ignatio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Wash have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Wash
How Far From Ignatio to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Ignatio to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Ignatio once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Ignatio and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Vernal, which is the Seat of Uintah County and lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<2> to the north northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Ignatio to Vernal, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 152 miles [244.6 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,706 miles [2,745.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,976 miles [11,226.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,743 miles [12,461.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,698 miles [9,170 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Utah
About Uintah County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Uintah County: www.co.uintah.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Ignatio could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ignatio) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ignatio. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.9784, Longitude: -109.1793
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Ignatio, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ignatio to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.735 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.833 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.273 degrees.||