Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Cannonville, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cannonville and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cannonville:
- 37.567202, -112.054031
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cannonville
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Garfield County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Garfield County
- Since Cannonville is near Kane County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Kane County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Cannonville ...
We have found two communities that share the name Cannonville.
Within Utah, the name Cannonville is unique.
Beyond Utah, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Troup County
- This Cannonville is located in Troup County and lies 1,546 miles [2,488 km]<1> to the east of the Cannonville that is located in Garfield County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannonville
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Troup County community of Cannonville.
- Plymouth County
- This Cannonville is located in Plymouth County and lies 2,191 miles [3,526.1 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Cannonville that is located in Garfield County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannonville
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Plymouth County community of Cannonville.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cannonville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Antimony [Garfield County]
- Duck Creek Village [Kane County]
- Escalante [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Escalante
- Escalante [Garfield County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Cannonville
- Estimated population in 2019: 798 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Escalante
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Escalante<2>
- Georgetown [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown [Kane County] was located 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the south of Cannonville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Georgetown have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Hatch [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hatch
- Hatch [Garfield County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Cannonville
- Estimated population in 2019: 142 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hatch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hatch
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hatch<2>
- Long Valley Junction [Kane County]
- Orderville [Kane County]
- Rockhouse [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockhouse
- Rockhouse [Kane County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the south of Cannonville
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Rockhouse. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Tropic [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tropic
- Tropic [Garfield County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Cannonville
- Estimated population in 2019: 514 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tropic
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tropic<2>
How Far From Cannonville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Cannonville to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cannonville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Panguitch, which is the Seat of Garfield County and lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Cannonville to Panguitch, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 220 miles [354.1 km] to the north (N). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,889 miles [3,040.1 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,197 miles [11,582.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,964 miles [12,816.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,925 miles [9,535.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Utah
About Garfield County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cannonville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cannonville) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cannonville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cannonville
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cannonville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.5672, Longitude: -112.0540
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cannonville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.71 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.955 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.05 degrees.||