Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Bryce Canyon City, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Bryce Canyon City and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Bryce Canyon City:
- 37.632473, -112.167448
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Bryce Canyon City
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Garfield County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Garfield County
- Since Bryce Canyon City is near Kane County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Kane County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Bryce Canyon City ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cannonville [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cannonville
- Cannonville [Garfield County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Bryce Canyon City
- Estimated population in 2019: 173 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannonville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cannonville<2>
- Duck Creek Village [Kane County]
- Georgetown [Kane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown [Kane County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Bryce Canyon City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Georgetown have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Hatch [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hatch
- Hatch [Garfield County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the west of Bryce Canyon City
- Estimated population in 2019: 142 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hatch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hatch
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hatch<2>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Long Valley Junction [Kane County]
- Osiris [Garfield County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Osiris
- Osiris [Garfield County] was located 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the north of Bryce Canyon City
- Former name for Osiris:
- Spry [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spry
- Spry [Garfield County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Bryce Canyon City
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spry have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spry
- Tropic [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tropic
- Tropic [Garfield County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the east of Bryce Canyon City
- Estimated population in 2019: 514 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tropic
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tropic<2>
How Far From Bryce Canyon City to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Bryce Canyon City to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Bryce Canyon City and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Panguitch, which is the Seat of Garfield County and lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Bryce Canyon City to Panguitch, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 hours.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 216 miles [347.6 km] to the north (N). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,894 miles [3,048.1 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,196 miles [11,580.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,963 miles [12,815.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,925 miles [9,535.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Utah
About Garfield County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bryce Canyon City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bryce Canyon City) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bryce Canyon City. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bryce Canyon City
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bryce Canyon City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.6325, Longitude: -112.1674
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bryce Canyon City to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.807 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.077 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.111 degrees.||