Census Data for Brian Head ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Brian Head a population of 93 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Brian Head a population of 83 people.
The town of Brian Head is located in Iron County. The 2010 Census gave Iron County; a population of 46,163 people. This means that Brian Head had 0.18% of the county's total population, making it Iron's 6th most populous community.
At the same time, Utah had a population of 2,763,885 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Brian Head has a total area of 3.1 square miles [8 km²].
Iron County has a land area of 3,296 square miles [8,538.4 km²]. At 3.1 square miles [8 km²], Brian Head has 0.09% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Brian Head, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Brian Head reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Brian Head might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 37° 41' 50" (or 37.7°)
- Lon: -112° 50' 34" (or -112.84°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Iron County ...
The community of Brian Head is located in Iron County<3>.
The county had a population of 46,163 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 83 people, Brian Head represented 0.18% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Brian Head has a population density of 26.79 people per square mile [10.34 people/km²], Iron County averages 14 people per square mile [5.41 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Iron County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Brian Head, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Brian Head. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Brian Head or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Brian Head, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Brian Head.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 37.697230° (or 37°41'50" N)
- Lon: -112.842965° (or -112°50'34" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 37.698842° (or 37°41'55" N)
- Lon: -112.844679° (or -112°50'40" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 768 feet to the southeast<4> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2411724) to Brian Head. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Brian Head. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 37.697144° (or 37°41'49" N)
- Lon: -112.843040° (or -112°50'34" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 38.09 feet to the northeast<5> of the point given by the GNIS for Brian Head. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Brian Head.
Miscellaneous Information for Brian Head ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Iron County or the town of Brian Head:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Brian Head:
- GNIS ID for Brian Head: 2411724
- GNIS ID for Iron County: 1448025
- GNIS ID for State of Utah: 1455989
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 49 (Utah)
- County Code: 021 (Iron County)
- Place Code: 08020 (Brian Head)
- State & County Code: 49/021 (Utah / Iron County)
- State & Place Code: 49/08020 (Utah / Brian Head)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Brian Head is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #8 (the Mountain Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a town like Brian Head, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Brian Head. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Brian Head:84719<6>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Brian Head.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Utah
About Iron County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Brian Head: brianheadtown.utah.gov/
The official website for Iron County: www.ironnet.org/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Iron, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 220 degrees and a distance of 768 feet.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 325 degrees and a distance of 38.09 feet.|
|<6>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Brian Head or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|