Welcome to Alunite ...
So far, we have found very little information about Alunite. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Alunite to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alunite, please Contact Us.
Alunite would have been located within present day Piute County<2>.
Alunite was established in 1915.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Alunite is 6,550 feet [1,996 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Alunite is 1¼ mile [or ~2 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Alunite was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Alunite still existed, it would have been in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Alunite ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Alunite - it's located in Nevada.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alunite.
Communities near Alunite ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alunite.
- Monroe [Sevier County]
- Circleville [Piute County]
- Marysvale [Piute County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marysvale have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marysvale
- Marysvale [Piute County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Alunite
- Estimated population in 2019: 437 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marysvale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marysvale<5>
- Joseph [Sevier County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Joseph have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Joseph
- Joseph [Sevier County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the north of Alunite
- Estimated population in 2019: 358 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Joseph
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Junction [Piute County]
- Kingston [Piute County]
- Kimberly [Piute County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Kimberly. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kimberly
- Kimberly [Piute County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Alunite
- Hoovers [Piute County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hoovers
- Hoovers [Piute County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the north of Alunite
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hoovers
- Sevier [Sevier County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sevier have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sevier
- Sevier [Sevier County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the north of Alunite
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sevier
- Angle [Piute County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Angle
- Angle [Piute County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southeast of Alunite
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Angle
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alunite. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alunite.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alunite. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alunite.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alunite. See our Newspapers Page for Alunite.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Utah
About Piute County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alunite, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Piute, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alunite - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alunite) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alunite. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Alunite
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alunite. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.3805, Longitude: -112.2470
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|