Welcome to Adobes ...
So far, we have found very little information about Adobes. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Adobes to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Adobes, please Contact Us.
Adobes would have been located within present day Presidio County<2>.
The location of Adobes has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Adobes is 2,670 feet [814 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Adobes is ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Adobes was located is in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Adobes would have been located in the (432) area code.
Communities near Adobes ...
We have created a list of 8 communities that are near Adobes.
- Presidio [Presidio County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Presidio
- Presidio [Presidio County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Adobes
- Estimated population in 2019: 3,894 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Presidio
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Presidio<6>
- Chinati [Presidio County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chinati
- Chinati [Presidio County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the northwest of Adobes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chinati have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ochoa [Presidio County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ochoa
- Ochoa [Presidio County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Adobes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ochoa have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Shafter [Presidio County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shafter
- Shafter [Presidio County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the east of Adobes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shafter
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Ruidosa [Presidio County]
- Candelaria [Presidio County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Candelaria
- Candelaria [Presidio County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<5> to the north of Adobes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Candelaria
- Casa Piedra [Presidio County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Casa Piedra
- Casa Piedra [Presidio County] was located 29 miles [46.7 km]<5> to the east of Adobes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Casa Piedra have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Redford [Presidio County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Adobes. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Adobes.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Adobes. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Adobes.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Adobes. See our Newspapers Page for Adobes.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Texas
About Presidio County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Adobes, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Texas' counties, including Presidio, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Adobes - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Adobes) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Adobes. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Adobes
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Adobes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 29.7593, Longitude: -104.5535 In this case, the coordinates for Adobes have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|