Curious and Interesting Names Near Wakaw Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carpenter
- Carpenter lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Wakaw Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carpenter
- Crystal Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crystal Springs
- Crystal Springs lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Wakaw Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crystal Springs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crystal Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dana
- Dana lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the south of Wakaw Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dana came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dana
- Fish Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Creek
- Fish Creek lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Wakaw Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fish Creek
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Middle Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Middle Lake
- Middle Lake lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the southeast of Wakaw Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Middle Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sagehill
- Sagehill lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the south of Wakaw Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sagehill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sagehill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Smuts
- Smuts lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southwest of Wakaw Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smuts
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waitville
- Waitville lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northeast of Wakaw Lake
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Waitville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waitville
- Yellow Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yellow Creek
- Yellow Creek lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Wakaw Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yellow Creek
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Wakaw Lake. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Gerry 'Tex' Ehman (Professional hockey)
- Earl John 'Tommy' Thomson (Olympic Gold Medalist)
How Far From Wakaw Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Wakaw Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Wakaw Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 157 miles [252.7 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Wakaw Lake to Regina, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,431 miles [2,303 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 56 days and walking would take 82 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,142 miles [9,884.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,911 miles [11,122.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,934 miles [7,940.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Wakaw Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Wakaw Lake) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Wakaw Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Wakaw LakeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Wakaw Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.6333, Longitude: -105.6500 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Wakaw Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.562 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.596 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.173 degrees.||