Curious and Interesting Names Near Sceptre ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Estuary - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Estuary
- Estuary was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the west of Sceptre
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Estuary. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Fox Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fox Valley
- Fox Valley lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the south of Sceptre
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fox Valley
- Snipe Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Snipe Lake
- Snipe Lake lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Sceptre
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Snipe Lake
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Sceptre. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead (Professional hockey)
How Far From Sceptre to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Sceptre to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Sceptre and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 205 miles [329.9 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Sceptre to Regina, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,576 miles [2,536.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 62 days and walking would take 90 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,326 miles [10,180.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,095 miles [11,418.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,128 miles [8,252.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sceptre. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Sceptre) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sceptre. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from SceptreOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sceptre. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.8619, Longitude: -109.2670 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Sceptre to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.408 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.642 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.874 degrees.||