Curious and Interesting Names Near Macdowall ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Birch Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birch Hills
- Birch Hills lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the east of Macdowall
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birch Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carpenter
- Carpenter lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the south of Macdowall
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carpenter
- Crystal Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crystal Springs
- Crystal Springs lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Macdowall
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crystal Springs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crystal Springs
- Duck Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Duck Lake
- Duck Lake lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Macdowall
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Duck Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Duck Lake
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Duck Lake<3>
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Fish Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Creek
- Fish Creek lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the south of Macdowall
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fish Creek
- Prince Albert
- Red Deer Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Deer Hill
- Red Deer Hill lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Macdowall
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Deer Hill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Deer Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waitville
- Waitville lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Macdowall
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Waitville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waitville
- Wild Rose
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wild Rose
- Wild Rose lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the north of Macdowall
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wild Rose
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Macdowall. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Earl John 'Tommy' Thomson (Olympic Gold Medalist)
How Far From Macdowall to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Macdowall to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Macdowall and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 187 miles [300.9 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Macdowall to Regina, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,450 miles [2,333.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 57 days and walking would take 83 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,127 miles [9,860.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,896 miles [11,098 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,925 miles [7,926 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Macdowall. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Macdowall) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Macdowall. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MacdowallOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Macdowall. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0172, Longitude: -106.0116 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Macdowall to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.842 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.953 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.319 degrees.||