Curious and Interesting Names Near Birsay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquest
- Conquest lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<1> to the north of Birsay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Conquest
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cutbank
- Cutbank lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Birsay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cutbank came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cutbank
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grainland
- Grainland lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the east of Birsay
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Grainland. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grainland
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Log Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Log Valley
- Log Valley lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the south of Birsay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Log Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Log Valley
- Lucky Lake
- Main Centre
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Main Centre
- Main Centre lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Birsay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Main Centre came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Main Centre
How Far From Birsay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Birsay to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Birsay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 112 miles [180.2 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Birsay to Regina, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,477 miles [2,377 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 58 days and walking would take 84 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,262 miles [10,077.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,031 miles [11,315.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,050 miles [8,127.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Birsay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Birsay) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Birsay. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BirsayOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Birsay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0962, Longitude: -106.9812 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Birsay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.609 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.621 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.365 degrees.||