Curious and Interesting Names Near Bapaume ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Birch Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birch Lake
- Birch Lake lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the west of Bapaume
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Birch Lake. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birch Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cater
- Cater lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the west of Bapaume
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cater
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leoville
- Leoville lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the north of Bapaume
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leoville
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mildred
- Mildred lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the east of Bapaume
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mildred
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rabbit Lake
- Rabbit Lake lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the south of Bapaume
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ranger
- Ranger lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Bapaume
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ranger came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ranger
- Spruce Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spruce Bay
- Spruce Bay lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the south of Bapaume
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spruce Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spruce Bay
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Bapaume. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ron 'Atch' Atchison (Professional football)
- Professional football. He was born in Mullingar (Saskatchewan) on Monday April 21, 1930 and died in Regina (Saskatchewan) on Wednesday June 23, 2010 at the age of 80. He is buried at Regina Memorial Gardens (Saskatchewan).
- Mullingar is located 20 miles [32.2 km] to the south of Bapaume.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Ron 'Atch' Atchison<5>
How Far From Bapaume to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Bapaume to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Bapaume and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 240 miles [386.2 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Bapaume to Regina, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,522 miles [2,449.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 60 days and walking would take 87 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,142 miles [9,884.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,911 miles [11,122.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,954 miles [7,972.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bapaume. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bapaume) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bapaume. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BapaumeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bapaume. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3828, Longitude: -107.6768 |
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bapaume to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.155 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.47 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.326 degrees.||