Curious and Interesting Names Near Avebury ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Shell
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Shell
- Big Shell lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Shell
- Echo Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Echo Bay
- Echo Bay lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Echo Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hawkeye
- Hawkeye lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the north of Avebury
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hawkeye came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hawkeye
- Lucky Man
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lucky Man
- Lucky Man lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Avebury
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lucky Man came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lucky Man
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mildred
- Mildred lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mildred
- Oscar Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oscar Lake
- Oscar Lake lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oscar Lake
- Pebble Baye
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pebble Baye
- Pebble Baye lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pebble Baye
- Pelican Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pelican Cove
- Pelican Cove lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the west of Avebury
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pelican Cove
- Shell Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shell Lake
- Shell Lake lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the north of Avebury
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shell Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shell Lake
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Avebury. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ron 'Atch' Atchison (Professional football)
- Professional football. He was born in Mullingar (Saskatchewan) on Monday April 21, 1930 and died in Regina (Saskatchewan) on Wednesday June 23, 2010 at the age of 80. He is buried at Regina Memorial Gardens (Saskatchewan).
- Mullingar is located 28 miles [45.1 km] to the west of Avebury.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Ron 'Atch' Atchison<3>
How Far From Avebury to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Avebury to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Avebury once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Avebury and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 211 miles [339.6 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Avebury to Regina, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,491 miles [2,399.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 59 days and walking would take 85 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,141 miles [9,883 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,910 miles [11,120.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,946 miles [7,959.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Avebury) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Avebury. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AveburyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avebury. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.1487, Longitude: -106.9774 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Avebury, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Avebury to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.603 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.824 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.92 degrees.||