Communities Also Named Abbey ...
We have found three communities that share the name Abbey.
Within Saskatchewan, the name Abbey is unique.
Beyond Saskatchewan, there is another community also named Abbey in the United States.
In addition to the above occurrences of Abbey, we know of two communities located outside of the United States and Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Twin Falls County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Idaho community of Abbey [Twin Falls County].
- Communities Beyond North America ...
- Distance: 9,936 miles [15,990.4 km]<2> to the west northwest
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Abbey
- Distance: 3,906 miles [6,286.1 km]<2> to the northeast
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Abbey
Curious and Interesting Names Near Abbey ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Fox Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fox Valley
- Fox Valley lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Abbey
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fox Valley
- Snipe Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Snipe Lake
- Snipe Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Abbey
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Snipe Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Success
- Success lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Abbey
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Success came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Success
- White Bear
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for White Bear
- White Bear lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Abbey
- Jump to Google Maps centered on White Bear
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Abbey. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Sceptre (Saskatchewan) on Saturday September 4, 1926 and died in High River (Alberta) on Tueday November 17, 2015 at the age of 89.
- Sceptre is located 23 miles [37 km] to the west of Abbey.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead<5>
How Far From Abbey to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Abbey to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Abbey and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 182 miles [292.9 km]<2> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Abbey to Regina, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,554 miles [2,500.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 89 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,323 miles [10,175.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,092 miles [11,413.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,120 miles [8,239.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Abbey. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Abbey, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Abbey) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Abbey. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Abbey
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abbey. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.7350, Longitude: -108.7581
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Abbey to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.004 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.17 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.571 degrees.||