Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Manderson, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Manderson and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Manderson:
- 43.235038, -102.470740
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Manderson
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Manderson ...
We have found two communities that share the name Manderson.
Within South Dakota, the name Manderson is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Valley County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Nebraska community of Manderson [Valley County].
- Big Horn County
- This Manderson is located in Big Horn County and lies 283 miles [455.4 km]<2> to the west northwest of the Manderson that is located in Oglala Lakota County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manderson
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Big Horn County community of Manderson.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Manderson ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Allen [Bennett County]
- Gordon [Sheridan County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gordon have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gordon
- Gordon [Sheridan County] lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Manderson
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,521 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gordon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gordon<3>
- Pine Ridge [Oglala Lakota County]
- Plenty Bears [Bennett County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plenty Bears have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plenty Bears
- Plenty Bears [Bennett County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the east of Manderson
- Estimated population in 2014: 109 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plenty Bears
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Porcupine [Oglala Lakota County]
- Rockyford [Oglala Lakota County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockyford
- Rockyford [Oglala Lakota County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the north of Manderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockyford
- Slim Butte [Oglala Lakota County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Slim Butte have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slim Butte
- Slim Butte [Oglala Lakota County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Manderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Slim Butte
- Swett [Bennett County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Swett
- Swett [Bennett County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the east of Manderson
- Estimated population in 2014: 283 people
- Wounded Knee [Oglala Lakota County]
How Far From Manderson to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Manderson to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Manderson and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 132 miles [212.4 km]<2> to the northeast (NE). If you could drive a straight line from Manderson to Pierre, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,351 miles [2,174.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 53 days and walking would take 77 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,600 miles [10,621.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,363 miles [11,849.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,300 miles [8,529.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of South Dakota
About Oglala Lakota County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Manderson. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Oglala Lakota County: oglalalakota.sdcounties.org/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Manderson could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Manderson) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Manderson. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Manderson
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Manderson. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.2350, Longitude: -102.4707
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Manderson to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.915 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.544 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.101 degrees.||