Welcome to Swett ...
So far, we have found very little information about Swett. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Swett to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Swett, please Contact Us.
Swett would have been located within present day Bennett County<2>.
From the 2010 Census (the most recent Census number we have), Swett had a population of 285 people.<3> (see below for details).
While the community is gone, the present day location for Swett is 3,340 feet [1,018 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Swett is about ¾ mile [or 1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Swett was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel east from Swett (for example, toward Spring Creek), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT).
The location where Swett once stood is in the (605) area code.
Communities near Swett ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Swett.
- Martin [Bennett County]
- Batesland [Oglala Lakota County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Batesland
- Batesland [Oglala Lakota County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Swett
- Estimated population in 2019: 114 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Batesland have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Batesland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Batesland<6>
- Plenty Bears [Bennett County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plenty Bears
- Plenty Bears [Bennett County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Swett
- Estimated population in 2014: 109 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plenty Bears have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plenty Bears
- Allen [Bennett County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Kyle [Oglala Lakota County]
- Porcupine [Oglala Lakota County]
- Merriman [Cherry County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Merriman
- Merriman [Cherry County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southeast of Swett
- Estimated population in 2019: 129 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Merriman have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Merriman
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Merriman<6>
- Denby [Oglala Lakota County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Denby
- Denby [Oglala Lakota County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the west of Swett
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Denby
- Wounded Knee [Oglala Lakota County]
- Tuthill [Bennett County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Swett. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Swett.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Swett. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Swett.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Swett. See our Newspapers Page for Swett.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of South Dakota
About Bennett County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Swett, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Bennett, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Swett.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Swett - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Swett) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Swett. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Swett
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Swett. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.1728, Longitude: -101.9501
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|