Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Howes, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Howes and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Howes:
- 44.618341, -102.051768
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Howes
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Howes ...
We have found four communities that share the name Howes.
Within South Dakota, the name Howes is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Dent County
- This Howes is located in Dent County and lies 725 miles [1,166.8 km]<1> to the southeast of the Howes that is located in Meade County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Howes
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Dent County community of Howes.
- New York
- Broome County
- This Howes is located in Broome County and lies 1,336 miles [2,150.1 km]<1> to the east of the Howes that is located in Meade County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Howes
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Broome County community of Howes.
- Wyoming County
- This Howes is located in Wyoming County and lies 1,194 miles [1,921.6 km] to the east of the Howes that is located in Meade County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Howes
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming County community of Howes.
- North Dakota
- Cass County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Dakota community of Howes [Cass County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Howes ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cherry Creek [Ziebach County]
- Faith [Meade County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Faith have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Faith
- Faith [Meade County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Howes
- Estimated population in 2019: 411 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Faith
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Faith<3>
- Marcus [Meade County]
- Milesville [Haakon County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Opal [Meade County]
- Plainview [Meade County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plainview have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plainview
- Plainview [Meade County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the west of Howes
- Estimated population in 2014: 55 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plainview
- Red Scaffold [Ziebach County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Scaffold have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Scaffold
- Red Scaffold [Ziebach County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Howes
- Estimated population in 2014: 372 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Scaffold
- White Owl [Meade County]
How Far From Howes to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Howes to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Howes and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Sturgis, which is the Seat of Meade County and lies 73 miles [117.5 km]<1> to the west. If you could drive a straight line from Howes to Sturgis, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 86 miles [138.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,341 miles [2,158.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 53 days and walking would take 77 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,510 miles [10,476.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,274 miles [11,706.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,217 miles [8,395.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for South Dakota
About Meade County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Howes. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Meade County: www.meadecounty.org/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Howes) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Howes. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Howes
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Howes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6183, Longitude: -102.0518
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Howes could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Howes to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.672 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.419 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 315.627 degrees.||