Welcome to Howes ...
Howes is located in Meade County<1>.
Howes is 2,400 feet [732 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Howes is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Howes lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel east from Howes, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT).
The area code for Howes: (605)
The ZIP code for Howes: 57748<3>
Communities Also Named Howes ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 4 communities that are also named Howes - they are located in Missouri, New York (2) and North Dakota.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Howes.
Communities near Howes ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Howes.
- White Owl
- Red Scaffold
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Scaffold
- Red Scaffold lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Howes.
- Estimated population in 2014: 372 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Scaffold have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Scaffold
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hartley
- Hartley lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Howes.
- Estimated population in 2014: 129 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hartley have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plainview
- Plainview lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Howes.
- Estimated population in 2014: 55 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plainview have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plainview
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bridger
- Bridger lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Howes.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bridger
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Enning
- Enning lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the west of Howes.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Enning have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Enning
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Enning<5>
- Red Owl
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Owl
- Red Owl lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the west of Howes.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Owl
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Howes. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Howes.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Howes. See our Newspapers Page for Howes.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Howes ...
Looking for more information about Howes? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Howes, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Howes.
Adding Howes to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Howes in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
From our notes, the earliest published mention we've found for Howes was in the document titled List of Post Offices from Cameron Blevins and Richard Helbock.<7>
From that list, the Howes post office opened in 1940.
For more details, see References and Mentions for Howes.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Howes. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Meade County: www.meadecounty.org/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Meade, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Howes - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Howes). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Howes or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Howes) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Howes. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HowesOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Howes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6183, Longitude: -102.0518 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||A copy of their list with background information can be found at:|