Census Data for Howes ...
As far as we can tell, Howes has not been included in past Census counts, so there is no population information for this community.
While we don't have census information for Howes, you might be interested in some nearby communities where we do:
- Faith [Meade County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Faith have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Faith
- Faith [Meade County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the north of Howes
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 411 people. This represents a 2.38% decrease since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 421 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Faith
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Faith<3>
- Elm Springs [Meade County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elm Springs
- Elm Springs [Meade County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Howes
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 28 people. This represents a 3.7% increase since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 27 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elm Springs
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elm Springs<3>
- Dupree [Ziebach County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dupree
- Dupree [Ziebach County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Howes
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 518 people. This represents a 1.33% decrease since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 525 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dupree
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dupree<3>
Meade County ...
Howes is located in Meade County<4>.
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Meade County.
Miscellaneous Information for Howes ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Meade County or the community of Howes:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Howes:
- GNIS ID for Howes: 1261021
- GNIS ID for Meade County: 1266991
- GNIS ID for State of South Dakota: 1785534
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Howes is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #4 (the West North-Central Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a community like Howes, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Howes. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Howes:57748<5>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Howes.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of South Dakota
About Meade County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Howes. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Meade County: www.meadecounty.org/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Howes) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Howes. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Howes
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Howes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6183, Longitude: -102.0518
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Meade, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Howes or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|